Thursday, August 16, 2007

Another "duh" moment

I'm listening to The Cure's "Disintegration" and realizing just how much some of these songs made an impression on me when I was younger. Though the radio songs from the album are damned good, I absolutely adore Plainsong and the title track. Untitled is a fine track as well. There must be a counterpoint for me after listening to The Cure, because me reaction to their music is to float away into a fluffy-clouded region of my mind that is pretty but not entirely comfortable. Maybe this is why I also enjoy music such as Swans and Whitehouse, because their music is aiming for a viceral reaction, sometimes bodily or even primal. However, this is completely on the other side of the spectrum and an ideal would be a music that is grounding which can be found somewhere in between brutal and pretty music.

1 comment:

Wendell said...

Answer to which music is both grounding and celebratory::: Fela Kuti, Sly and the Family Stone, Penguin Cafe Orchestra...