Thursday, August 2, 2007

Inaugural

After much deliberation and--let's face it--hemming and hawing, I've decided to start a blog. Before I describe the sorts of things I envision including here, I'd like to talk about the blog's title: it is the name of a song by Todd Jones under his Brown Moth moniker. Originally, I was going to use another song title of his, "Chocolate Jimmies White Ice Cream," due to my interest in the layers of meaning one could draw from it and the issues brought up by the questionable associations of the word "jimmies," along with the imagery of something of substance covering a larger mass which lacks substance (note it is white ice cream and not vanilla!) But I gave another listen to the album from which these two titles are taken, and realized I should use the title of the song that I like the most! You can't beat the imagery of the words "Mongoose Sword," either. It helps that I enjoy martial arts movies and that my first decent BMX bike was a Mongoose. I want to make this blog more about what I like on a larger scale than solely about what I find intellectually interesting, like the unused song title, though let me be clear that I enjoy both songs on more than one level.

As this blog grows, I hope to include quotes I like from friends, family, and folks I've never met; ruminations/me thinking aloud in writing; links to plenty of other sites; and stuff I find amusing and/or curious. I won't be likely to turn this into a window into my soul or any such thing--in fact, I may comment on that sort of thing at some point--but you're likely to find me writing about subjects which compel me, such as music, body work, and any other miscellaneous detritus that floats its way into my life.

So please come back and visit occasionally, or do up the RSS/ATOM thang for updates as they happen.

Respect and appreciation to those who got on me and inspired me to start this up, directly or indirectly.

No comments: